I am opposed to reservation for IIT faculty


Ashok Misra, director of IIT Bombay, on the ups, downs and controversies surrounding his tenure IIT is a brand that's recognized and acknowledged worldwide. "While I am all for setting up premium technology institutions across the country, I think calling them IITs will dilute the brand. Let's face it: the six original IITs are way ahead. The new institutes should be created as a separate and strong brand"

The road from the main entrance of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, to the main building that has the director's office is a straight one. But I take a circuitous route that takes me past the serene Powai lake with solemn wader birds, and along greenery of many shades where magpies dart suddenly. Humans are few, vehicles even fewer. This is as close to heaven as you can get in Mumbai.

Why is Prof Ashok Misra, director of IIT Bombay for the past eight years, leaving this behind? To take over a new assignment in Bangalore as the chairman of the Indian operations of Intellectual Ventures, a US-based private firm that invests in high-tech inventions.

Or is it, as is being speculated, because he is disenchanted with the increasing interference of the Human Resource Development ministry in the institutes of higher learning? The questions are many and Prof Misra, 60, who can answer them, is beleaguered with a sore throat. Sipping hot Ayurvedic concoction for relief, he settles down to reflect on subjects, academic and otherwise.

Why quit the directorship of IIT, Bombay and why now?

After eight most beautiful years of my life, I must move on to do something new. I will be the India head of Intellectual Ventures, a Washington-based firm dealing in intellectual property in high-tech areas. This will be very different from the teaching and research I have done all my life. Why now? Because no one may hire me later. (Laughs) Some say it is because of the increased interference, of late, by the Human Resource Development ministry in the working of institutions of higher learning.

I am more than capable of dealing with issues like these (HRD ministry interference). When the HRD ministry decided to introduce the Other Backward Classes (OBC) quota in the IITs, I let my opinion be known. But once the HRD ministry decided on the OBC quota, I implemented it. It started with nine percent OBC reservation this year and we have not had to compromise on the caliber of the students. Let's see what happens about the 27 per cent reservation.

But that's not why I am leaving. I have been associated with Intellectual Ventures for some time. They have great plans and I think this is the right time to make the move.

And now there is talk of reservation for faculty as well?


I am opposed to reservation quotas for faculty members. Merit should be the only criterion in the selection of faculty in the IITs. Good research is good research regardless of who does it. One need not know the caste of the person who has done good work. The downside will be that even if a person is brilliant, people will start dismissing his/her credentials saying they are from reserved category . We have requested the standing committee to reject the idea of reservation for faculty .

You have said that the nine new IITs should not be called IITs. Why?


IIT is a brand that is recognised and acknowledged worldwide. While I am all for setting up premium technology institutions across the country, and I am helping set up one in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, I think calling them IITs will dilute the brand. Let's face it: the six original IITs are way ahead. The new institutes should be created as a separate and strong brand.

A great amount of research work was carried out in IIT, Bombay during your tenure. Did you consciously do that?

Yes. I believe that in order to be counted among the premier institutions of the world, we need to have a lot of quality research. Our scientific papers must be published in international journals. When I took over the directorship in 2000, the PhDs per faculty were 0.19 per cent. Today it is 0.5 per cent. And we are close to achieving the target of two papers published by every faculty member per annum.

Are Indian researchers shying away from pure science because of low remuneration?

Yes, they are shying away . Unless you have good sci ence, you cannot have good technology . It was the discovery of electricity that made so many technological advancements possible. That's why at IIT Bombay, we have many projects on pure sciences.

Looking back, what have been the highs of your stint here?

When I took over, Powai was some isolated place in Mumbai where some people did some academic work. I have tried to establish connectivity between the corporate world and the academics. This creates a win-win situation for both.

Corporates benefit from our research and we from the money they invest in research. Having said that, I must add that despite initial interest, the corporates are slow in loosening their purse strings, barring the Bajaj group that has donated Rs 7 crore so far.

Activating our alumni network has helped me raise funds for IIT Bombay. New chairs are being established and more money is coming in which will help us remunerate our faculty better.

And the lows?

Sometimes the cumbersome procedures in getting new constructions really bogged me down. But I found a way out. I have outsourced it to the department of construction of Atomic Energy department by appointing them as consultants.

Source : Hindustan Times

0 comments:

Popular Posts